Magnolia A. & M. College had three different projects under construction when this photograph of workmen pouring the foundation of Nelson Hall for girls was taken on April 23, 1936. Not only was Cross Hall for boys going up on the opposite side of the campus, but also the site for the Greek Theater was being excavated---see top center of this photo. Whereas both dormitory jobs employed mainly adult workers, the Greek Theater was a National Youth Administration (NYA) project. At top left, through the trees, can be seen the College Clubhouse, still another "New Deal" project on campus built of logs. At far right, facing what is now East University street, can be seen a small house occupied by a well-respected black laundryman, known to the students he served only as "Snowball." The picture is from the SAU archives, with information by Dr. Robert Walz, professor of history, Southern Arkansas University.


The Magnolia A & M College campus was undergoing rapid changes when this picture of the foundation of the W. R. Cross Hall was made on April 23, 1936. Designed as a dormitory for boys, Cross Hall was built at the same time as Nelson Hall for girls, both being "New Deal" projects. Shown at the top of the pictures are two faculty houses, the one at the center then being the residence of President and Mrs. Charles A. Overstreet, and the one at the right being occupied by the Sage McLeans. At far left is the old engineering building, and at far right can be seen the corner of McCrary Hall for boys. The picture is from the SAU archives, with information by Dr. Robert Walz, professor of history.

 

   

 

Contents

     

 Next Page