Morrison and Eppinette, Historical Ouachita County, p. 8

Street Scenes


Click for larger view

Camden developed as the most prosperous town of Ouachita county. The uptown businesses along Washington Street are visible in this turn-of-the-century photograph from a glass negative. The view is from the top of the court house looking north. From the left, the corner of the Methodist Church, the rear of the Old Post Office, the porch and the spire of the Ouachita hotel, and the dome of the Ouachita Valley Bank, and the shed of the Chidester Livery Stable are visible.

Photograph from the private collection of Larry Morrison


Click for larger view

A stree-level scene reveals the Ouachita Valley Bank and the Old Post Office on the left and the porch area of the Ouachita Hotel on Washington Street in Camden about 1900. Stepping stones from corner to corner assisted pedestrians in crossing dirt streets.

Photograph Courtesy of Imogene Beard


Click for larger view

Adams Street in Camden, looking south from Washington Street, presents a view of buildings about 1900. The Dowdell Opera House is the large building on the right in the distance.

Photograph Courtesy of Imogene Beard


Click for larger view

The town and the country merged in many Ouachita County communties. Millville, a sawmill town near Bearden, typified the small town in the early 1900s. The broad, dirt street and the picket fence provided a setting for the Rufus home, barely visible through the trees to the left.

 

Photograph Courtesy of Benny Byars


Click for larger view

This panorama of uptown Camden reveals the heightened business activity by the 1920's.

Photograph from the Snider Collection


Click for larger view

A view of Washington Street from Adams Street reveals the advent of automobiles to Camden by the 1920's.

Photograph from the Snider Collection


Click for larger view

This view of Jefferson Street from Adams shows the Dowdell Opera House on the left and the Merchants and Planters Bank on the right. The spire of the First Methodist Church is visisble in the background.

Photograph from the Snider Collection


 

 

 

 

Contents

 

 Morrison/Eppinette Book

 

 Next