Morrison and Eppinette, Historical Ouachita County, p. 37

Steamboats


Click for larger view

In the winter of 1823, steamboat activity on the Ouachita River reached the trading post of Ecore Fabre, the community which would become Camden, Arkansas. By the turn of the century scores of riverboats had provided a link for passengers and cargoes to New Orleans, Louisiana. One of the finest in the trade was the steamer City of Camden which was built for a group of Camden citizens and put into service in 1893. The vessel was sold to an Alabama company in 1904. A storm destoyed the steamer in 1906.

Photograph from the Private Collection of Larry Morrison


Click for larger view

Gangs of workers performed the laborious task of loading and unloading steamboats at the Camden port near the east end of Washington Street about 1900. The man in the foreground is carrying a ballast rock.

Photograph from the Private Collection of Larry Morrison


Click for larger view

Click for larger view

The cotton-laden Corona (top) and the ornate D.I.Tally (bottom) served Camden and Ouachita County in the late 1800's.

Photographs Courtesy of the Ouachita River Valley Association.


Click for larger view

The large steamboat America made its first voyage to Camden in May 1924 to commemorate the opening of the 6-1/2 foot channel to Camden. A new era for steamboat activity was expected by the jubilant citizens. The steamer is docked at the foot of Washington Street.

Photograph from the Snider Collection.


Click for larger view

The Ouachita Belle was one of the large side-wheelers which plied the Camden-to-New Orleans trade at the turn of the century.

Photograph Courtesy of the Ouachita River Valley Association.


Click for larger view

During the 1930's the steamer Ouachita continued to serve the Camden trade under the mastery of the famous Captain Cooley.

Photograph Courtesy of Bob Dodson.


Click for larger view

The Ramdsell was a Corps of Engineers dredge boat that helped maintain the Ouachita River channel after 1900.

Photograph from the Billingsley Collection.


Click for larger view

The Todd, a Corps of Engineers' dredge boat, maintained the Ouachita River channel in the 1930's. The Orlando Hotel, once located on Adams Street in Camden, is visible on the bluff.

Photograph Courtesy of the Ouachita River Valley Association - Photographed by Elmer Lee.


 

 

 

 

Contents

 

 Morrison/Eppinette Book

 

 Next