Morrison and Eppinette, Historical Ouachita County, p. 124

Oil


Click for larger view

After oil was discovered in Ouachita County on the Charles Richardson land on July 25, 1922, this scene of wooden derricks and oil storage ponds became commonplace.

Photograph from the Snider Collection


Click for larger view

Louann, Arkansas, in the southern part of Ouachita County, was begining to reveal its role as an oil-boom town by May, 1923. The small building on the left is the King Tut Service Station, and next to it is the cotton gin. A load of oil field pipe is left of the boxcar.

Photograph from the Snider Collection


Click for larger view

The availability of oil in Ouachita County provided opportunity for entrepreneurs. Henry Berg and his wife, Rose, are pictured between two unidentified men. The workers on the platform are typical of the oilfield crews of the 1920s.

Photograph Courtesy of the Berg Family


Click for larger view

The discovery of oil in the early 1920s in the Smackover Field in Union and Ouachita Counties provided many scenes of wells "blowing in."

Photograph Courtesy of Harold Lee Fincher and Kenneth L. Long


Click for larger view

The new oil discoveries in Ouachita County gave rise to much initiative by local citizens. This is the Home Refinery Company in 1921. The refinery was located at the edge of town on Highway 7 North. Mr. Elmer Anderson was one of the principal owners.

Photograph Courtesy of Imogene Beard


Click for larger view

Getting the finished product to market completed the cycle. Grover Linebarrier operated the Magnolia Petroleum Company on Polk Street in Camden in the 1930s.

Photograph from the Linebarrier Collection


 

 

 

 

Contents

 

 Morrison/Eppinette Book

 

 Next