Morrison and Eppinette, Historical Ouachita County, p. 110

Farming


Click for larger view

George and Anderson Tate were brothers who were the first to settle in what is now Ouachita County. They started farms at Tate's Bluff near the confluence of the Little Missouri River and the Ouachita River in 1818. This home was built in 1829 by John Henderson Tate. The structure still stands on the E.J. Bacon farm. This photograph was made in 1941 before a portion of the house was destroyed by fire. At the time the picture was made, the home was occupied by Harry Taylor. The girls on the porch were his nieces.

Photograph Courtesy of Ruth Tate


Click for larger view

The barn on Judge Frank Tate's Oakland Farm remains as a landmark in the Fairview Community in the south part of Camden. The structure was built on the 1880s.

Photograph Courtesy of Ruth Tate


Click for larger view

Cotton was a major crop for Ouachita County at the turn of the century. This field was located near the Fairview community at the present site of Cash Road between Chaffee Creek and the Missouri-Pacific Railroad. The people are (left to right) Walter Tate, Handy Highsmith, Allen A. Tate from Commanche, Texas, and Judge Frank Tate.

Photograph Courtesy of Ruth Tate


Click for larger view

Cotton agriculture was most often a family enterprise in Ouachita County. A sharecropper family is pictured on the Benjamin Joab Byars farm, which was located about three miles south of Bearden in Ouachita and Calhoun counties. The more than 600-acre farm had four sharecropper families working the land when this photograph was taken about 1910.

Photograph Courtesy of Benny Byars


Click for larger view

A sharecropper is seen with a horse-drawn cultivator on the B.J. Byars farm near Bearden in the 1920s.

Photograph Courtesy of Benny Byars


Click for larger view

Click for larger view

The Morgan farm was the scene of varied farm activities in the early 1900s. In the top photograph, Green Rhymes, a farm worker, is weaving baskets. Henry Fogle is the sorghum maker in the bottom photograph.

Photographs from the Helen Morgan Collection


Click for larger view

A blacksmith shop in Bearden provided indispensable services to the farms and the town at the turn of the century.

Photograph Courtesy of Imogene Beard


 

 

 

 

Contents

 

 Morrison/Eppinette Book

 

 Next