Morrison and Eppinette, Historical Ouachita County, p. 26

Churches


Click for larger view

Churches formed the heart of community life in Ouachita County. This is the first building of the First Presbyterian Church of Camden. The building was erected in 1858.

Photograph Courtesy of Ritchie Morgan


Click for larger view

This beautiful edifice replaced the wooden building in the First Presbyterian Church.

Photograph Courtesy of Ritchie Morgan


Click for larger view

An early photograph of the Episcopal Church at Camden includes the rectory, which no longer exists.

Photograph Courtesy of J.R. Reeves, Jr.


Click for larger view

The Catholic Church was organized at Camden during the Civil War when Bishop Fitzgerald held a mass for soldiers and citizens at the Ouachita County Courthouse. A wood-frame building served the congregation until this St. Louis Catholic Church was completed in the early 1920's.

Photograph from the Snider Collection


Click for larger view

Country churches formed a nucleus for community identity in the county. A.J. Snider posed with his horse and buggy at Liberty, Arkansas, a community west of Louann, Arkansas.

Photograph from the Snider Collection


Click for larger view

The Champion Hill Presbyterian Church, which was located south of Camden on the Old Smackover Highway, was organized on October 31, 1886. This photograph of the congregation was taken in the early 1920's

Photograph from the Helen Morgan Collection


 

 

 

 

Contents

 

 Morrison/Eppinette Book

 

 Next