Morrison and Eppinette, Historical Ouachita County, p. 103

Town Businesses


Click for larger view

The progress edition of the Ouachita Herald, a local Camden newspaper, reported on December 23, 1909, that A.J. Snider, "...has been established here in this business over four years, and the good work that he turns out has been the direct means of him building up the large patronage he enjoys today." It added, "that he has spared no expenses or pains in equipping his studio with the best of modern lenses, and the entire paraphernalia used is strictly up-to-date." Mr. Snider bought his photography business from a Mr. Hammond in 1902 and operated it untill his death in 1932. The Snider family continued operation of the studio until 1964. Many of the photographs in this book are from the Snider Collection. This photograph shows Mr. Snider in his Washington Street studio about 1920.

Photograph from the Snider Collection


Click for larger view

Stinson's Jewelty Store has operated in Camden since 1847. It was founded by George Stinson on Washington Street "below the hill." This early scene shows Mr. Stinson, second from the left.

Photograph Courtesy of Mrs. John Stinson


Click for larger view

The Berg Jewelry Store was located in Adams Street in Camden. A casket is visible in the pull-down stairway in the center of the ceiling. Leo Berg is standing second from the left.

Photograph Courtesy of the Berg Family


Click for larger view

The Holleman and Gee Grocery was located at the northeast corner of Adams and Jefferson streets in Camden in the late 1800s. The interior revealed an ample stock of goods for Camden's citizens in September 1896. James William Holleman, proprietor, is standing at the right.

Photograph Courtesy of Bettie Lu Gaughan Rogers


Click for larger view

Ritchie Grocery Company began as a general merchandise store in 1886 and was incorporated in 1903. This photograph of the shipping office about 1900 shows (left) W.S. May, vice-president, and (right) Abe Lazarus, one of the founders.

Photograph Courtesy of Bettie Lu Gaughan Rogers


Click for larger view

Fred Hickman and Harvey Reynolds are the mechanics in this automobile garage in Camden in 1922. The business was located on Adams Street across from the present site of
Watts Department store.

Photograph Courtesy of Fred Hickman


Click for larger view

The Coca-Cola Bottling Company was located on Jefferson Street in Camden. This photograph reveals the office area in the early 1900s.

Photograph Courtesy of J.W. Harrell, Jr.


Click for larger view

This photograph of the Coca-Cola Bottling Company shows workers at the bottling machines in the early 1900s.

Photograph Courtesy of J.W. Harrell, Jr.


 

 

 

 

Contents

 

 Morrison/Eppinette Book

 

 Next