Jonathan Black, Jr., reported in October, 1831, that the road to the
Louisiana State Line had been reviewed and
Judge Black had two other magistrates, David Rupel and Thomas Franklin, commissioned to hold court at the July 16, 1832 court which met at the home of Elizabeth Nunn (35). In the years following, the affairs of the county court became more and more routine.
A post office was established in January 1831, at Corea Fabre with Benjamin Gooch postmaster. This route started from Washington, Hempstead County (36). An act had been passed November 21, 1829, for the opening of a road from Washington to Cote Fabre (37) in Union County (38). The following spring another mail route was announced. This was from Villemont on the Mississippi River in Chicot County via Cabeen's in Union County to Pine Bluff (39).
The Arkansas Gazette, June 13, 1832, carried the announcement, "It gives us much pleasure to announce to our readers that the mail route from this place via Pine Bluff in Jefferson County, Cabeen's in Union County, Bayou Bertelemi, and Old River to the Mississippi River at Villemont in Chicot County may now be considered as permanently established and the public may hereafter expect a regular weekly mail on this route. This is an important route affording as it does our only direct channel of communication with Chicot and intermediate community."
Soon Dr. John T. Cabeen was appointed postmaster at Cabeen's (40). This mail route was approved by congress and extended to Little Rock (41). By 1833 another route had been established. Mail from Hempstead Courthouse by Corea Fabre to Black's in Union County ninety miles away came on a regular schedule each two weeks.