Few families have been interwoven with the history of a county as have the Blacks of Union. The first county judge; the first sheriff; the man who surveyed the first town lots in El Dorado; one of the early county surveyors; and one of the three commissioners who located the City of El Dorado were members of this family.
From 1830 to 1880 no family worked harder for the good of the county and no family contributed more toward the establishment of Union County's government, roads, towns, schools and churches. And today there are only two known members of this family in Union County who carry the name: Mrs. Charles T. Black, 118 South Newton, El Dorado, the widow of Doctor Black, whose two sons are also doctors but live elsewhere, and Elmer Black, Strong, a descendant of Marcellus Black. These are the only two Blacks of the early Blacks in the county now, but in 1850 seventy members of this family were in it.