Study Aides for the
"Sulphur Fork Factory, 1817-1822"
Article from the Arkansas
Essay Questions for Sulphur Fork
1. What were the purposes of the Indian factory system? What unique purposes
did the Sulphur Fork Factory have?
2. Why was the location of a factory moved from
Natchitoches to the Sulphur River?
3. What advantageous geographical features determined
where the Sulphur Fork Factory was set up?
4. John Fowler faced many problems in operating
the Sulphur Fork Factory. What was the most difficult problem?
5. Why was the Indian factory system ended?
Multiple Choice Questions
for Sulphur Fork Factory
- 1. Which of these men established the Sulphur Fork Factory?
- a. John Fowler b. William McClellan c. Oriley Cotton d. Epaphras Chapman
- e. Richard Wartenby
- 2. Soldiers paid to help build Sulphur Fork Factory were paid $0.29
a day plus a gill of whiskey. A gill is a:
- a. pint b. cup c. quart d. half gallon e. four fluid ounces
- 3. Which of these was not a problem in operating the Sulphur
- a. illegal white traders and hunters who cheated Indians b. Spanish
intrigues c. poor merchandise
- d. insufficient and undisciplined military garrison e. frequent Indian
attacks on the factory
- 4. The largest trade in furs at Sulphur Fork was
- a. deer skins b. beaver furs c. bear skins d. racoon skins e. otter
- 5. Ironically, the Sulphur Fork Factory was in greatest physical danger
- a. Indian attacks b. break-ins by U.S. soldiers c. Spanish invaders
d. illegal white traders and hunters who sought to burn down its buildings
e. wild buffalo herds
Activity for Sulphur
Following John Fowler
- Obtain a large-scale map at Louisiana that shows in detail the course
of the Red River. Trace John Fowler's likely route in 1818 up the Red River
in a keelboat on his way to establish the Sulphur Fork Factory. It took
him 25 days to go from Natchitoches to his destination where the Sulphur
River joins the Red River. Assuming an equal distance traveled on the river
each day, plot on the map the likely locations where Fowler might have
stopped and camped overnight.