MILLER COUNTY, 1874
Miller County Arkansas as now created was established by Act of the Legislature approved December 22, 1874, ( see Acts of the Legislature of Arkansas, 1874, page 6) embraced within that portion of the territory then lying in Lafayette County situated and lying south and west of the center of the main channel of Red River, and Texarkana became the County Seat and the post office was removed to Texarkana from Rondo.
NAVIGABILITY OF RED RIVER
A very important case decided by the Supreme Court of Arkansas is that of Fulton Ferry & Bridge Co. vs. Herbert R. Wilson, et al., 173 Ark., 645, which involved building a bridge across Red River at Fulton. The evidence in that case upon one of the issues was directed to the navigability to that part of Red River. On this point J. J. Towery testified 17th of December, 1926, that he lived at 515 E. 5th Street, Texarkana, Arkansas, was 81 years old and a native of Miller County, born near Bright Star; that he was in the Confederate Army of 1861 to 1865 and after returning he was employed by Joe Glass, one of the biggest farmers in Miller County, having two Red River farms; that the first knowledge he had of a boat was that his uncle went to Fulton and brought back a box of matches, the first matches that had ever been seen in this country; that in 1866 he had charge of the Glass cotton which was shipped from the farm below Fulton to New Orleans, and that he accompanied the shipment of the steam-boats upon red River consisting of 726 bales of cotton.