- Dr. David Dale Owen was chosen to do the work. The Reverend W. W. Stevenson,
president of the state historical society, called, in January, 1842, for
gifts of minerals, fossils, valuable books, reptiles, etc. Stevenson went
west to California during the Gold Rush of 1849; most of this collection
and the Owen collection were sent to Tulip (4).
- The cadets felt very important in their uniforms; they were exactly
like those worn at West Point, except for the buttons. All of the cadets
were over fifteen or at the least fourteen, and could not exceed four feet,
nine inches in height at admittance. The older cadets lived in barracks
on the ground while the younger boys and girls boarded in homes adjacent
to the school. Board, including laundry, fuel, and light, cost ten dollars
a month. Meals came as extra expense. A normal tuition fee for a period
of twenty-two weeks was sixteen dollars for the general academic course,
the collegiate English course was twenty dollars, and the languages were
twenty-five dollars each. Girls were not allowed to have charge accounts
in the town of Tulip. Almost every session there were about one hundred
girls enrolled in the two schools.
- Under the incorporation act the Board of Guardians (trustees) had the
right to endow the Seminary by selling scholarships and to grant degrees
in the arts and sciences. The normal, or teacher training, program was
excellent. For young ladies who completed the courses in English and in
algebra the Master of Arts degree was bestowed (5). The visiting committee
of the school reported in August, 1857 that a thorough course in collegiate
instruction was being offered. They felt that no other seminary possessed
quite the sound element of female education as did this one in Tulip. They
further urged that the school be supported by Arkansans, since the young
people of the state could receive as adequate an education in Tulip as
in any other place (6).
- 4. Arkansas Historical Quarterly, Vol. XI, p. 133.
- 5. Ouachita Herald, January 1, 1857.
- 6. True Democrat, August 4, 1857.