- The names of the incorporators and the Board of Guardians of these
two schools are valuable to posterity. They were, General Nathaniel G.
Smith, Colonel Maurice Smith, Judge Willis Lewis Somervell, Major George
C. Eaton, J. J. Samuel, Esq., Colonel James W. Eaton, Mr. Wiliam J. Smith,
Mr. Samuel W. Smith, Dr. William Bethel, Samuel H. Smith, Esq., Major Benjamin
J. Borden, and Hector McNeill, Esq. From this number General Smith was
chosen to serve as president of the board, a position he readily
accepted. George D. Alexander was superintendent of the Military Institute
and Major Borden, of Danville, Kentucky served as superintendent of the
Female Collegiate Seminary. These men were truly suited to these positions
and fulfilled their duties with admirable judgment and wisdom. Major Borden
also served as head of the math and tactics departments in the Military
Institute. Seven teachers were employed by the Seminary, which in 1852
was headed by the Reverend Benjamin Watson.
- A very rigid course of study was planned. For the cadets at the Military
Institute it was ancient languages, surveying, engineering, math, military
tactics, chemistry, and natural philosophy (natural science). Instruction
was given in Latin, French, Spanish, and Italian languages. For the girls
there was a curriculum of less intensified study, with concentration upon
needlework, drawing, painting, belles letters, and a general liberal arts
program. In music the young damsels had a choice of the piano, the harp,
or the guitar. The young cadets were drilled quite often and were adequately
instructed in the art of the military sciences.
- For their classes the students had a good school plant and pleasant
surroundings. The school buildings were located
- in Tulip-proper, on the flat, rolling land there. The buildings, though
not elaborate, were well built and the drill ground provided an excellent
place for the public meetings and regular drill activities. The two schools
were served by a wonderful library, full of choice items (3). It is intimated
that a huge geological collection was placed at the disposal of the schools.
In 1852 the General Assembly of Arkansas made a provision that the first
geological survey of the state be taken.
- 3. True Democrat, December 16, 1856.