Study Aides for the
"The Site of the Sulphur Fork
Factory in Southwest
Article from the The
Bulletin of the Arkansas
- Essay Questions for The Site of the
Sulphur Fork Factory
1. What methods were used to find the site of the Sulphur River Factory?
- 2. What physical evidence found in excavation
proved that the area investigated was indeed the Sulphur Fork
- 3. What part of the Sulphur Fork site was excavated?
What might remain to be investigated?
- 4. What was the role of amateur investigators
in examining the Sulphur Fork Factory? The role of professional
- 5. What methods were used to excavate and investigate
physical remains of the Sulphur Fork Factory?
- Multiple Choice Questions for The
Site of the Sulphur Fork Factory
- 1. Which chapter of the Arkansas Archeology Society
surveyed the Sulphur Fork Factory?
- a. Kadohadocho
- b. Nachitoches
- c. Cigainero
- d. Dalton
- e. Spanish Real
- 2. Which of these men did not work on the Sulphur
- a. John Fowler
- b. Larkin Edwards
- c. Russell M. Magnaghi
- d. Jacob Irwin
- e. William McClellan
- 3. The first person to dig at the Sulphur Fork
Factory site was
- a. Dr. Frank Schambach
- b. George Gray
- c. Perry Plunkett
- d. David Jeane
- e. Janice Dent
- 4. All of these items were found at the Sulphur
Fork Factory except:
- a. military uniform buttons
- b. gun parts
- c. human bones from grave sites
- d. cooking utensils
- e. silver coins
- 5. How many different types of military units
must have been present at the Sulphur Fork Factory?
- a. 1
- b. 6
- c. 2
- d. 3
- e. 5
- Activity for The Site of the Sulphur
- Learning more about Early American Money
- Using library resources and the Internet, find
articles describing coins that were used widely in the U.S. in the early
19th century. Find out why a Spanish coin --- the Real --- played an important
medium of exchange. Calculate the value of "a bit."